Meet Attorney Anna P. Sammons
ANNA P. SAMMONS
- 2004 graduate of one of the top law schools in the country, University of Chicago Law School, where she worked for the Mental Health Law Project all through school.
- Since her very first court appearance as a law student back in 2003, Anna P. Sammons has advocated for people accused by the government of breaking the law. She’s never clerked for a judge or worked as a prosecutor. Her years of experience are all in criminal defense, handling trial-level misdemeanors and felonies, post-conviction relief motions, and appeals. She has authored numerous publications and teaches a courses in criminal law as an adjunct faculty member at Lane Community College.
- Read what colleagues and clients are saying:
- Federal Bar (U.S. District Court District of Oregon)
- Oregon State Bar (since 2017)
- New York State Bar (since 2005)
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Lane County Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- National Criminal Defense College Trial Practice Institute
The Sammons Defense Team
Our team is on your side: The prosecutor does not work alone. They collaborate with law enforcement, victim advocates, and others. Sometimes, it can feel as though they are collaborating with the defense lawyers as well (read horrible example here). We don’t work alone either. Every case is staffed by multiple professionals. We work collaboratively with top-flight psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and forensic experts.
Business Manager and Legal Analyst
Ben is responsible for supervising and managing the firm’s finances and day to day operations. He prides himself on providing excellent client service and is available to answer questions about billing and other financial matters. read more
Attorney and author Rankin Johnson has successfully represented clients in countless appellate and post conviction cases.
Representative matters include: Reversal of a conviction for Online Sexual Corruption, because the state read more
Establishing that a post-conviction petitioner was entitled to issue subpoenas and call witnesses. Tracy v. Nooth, 252 Or App 163 (2012).
Clarifying the process to appeal an erroneous pretrial ruling. Koch v. State, 252 Or App 657 (2012). The defendant in Koch was ultimately able to enter DUII diversion, even though he was charged with assault and convicted of DUII after a jury trial.
A respected authority on Oregon state criminal law and procedure, he has served on the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association Board of Directors and chaired its amicus committee, served on the Oregon State Bar’s Uniform Criminal Jury Instruction Committee, and has written and edited criminal-law practice manuals on topics ranging from pretrial motions to sentencing, and on defending everything from DUII to prostitution. He is passionate about sharing his expertise with others and regularly blogs about the latest developments in criminal law for the OCDLA library of defense. https://libraryofdefense.ocdla.org/Special:CaseReviews
Rankin manages a small appellate caseload and advises the firm in virtually every case regarding preservation, legal strategy, and administrative law matters. read less
An Oregon native, army veteran, and former police officer, licensed private investigator Amber Coleman has also taught at Willamette Leadership Academy, a military style charter school for at-risk youth. read more
Client Advocate and Legal Assistant
Ian, a former direct service provider to people with disabilities, is an expert in working with and for people who have been accused of a crime and who are living with serious mental illness. Ian gathers treatment history information, connects clients read more
An Integrated Defense: Our team works closely with a group of trusted independent professionals. Our partners share our values and, like us, have an unwavering commitment to the people we represent.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker/Therapist
Lori Looney, a licensed therapist since 2001 and Oregon Board Certified Sex Offense therapist, is an integral member of our criminal defense team. We regularly refer clients who are experiencing stress, anxiety and read more
Sexual-Offense Specific Evaluator, Consultant
Ms. Gotch has worked in the field of sexual abuse prevention for over 20 years as clinician, evaluator, trainer, educator, and within legislative/policy development. read more
Consultant, Forensic Toxicology. Willamette Valley Forensics, LLC
With undergraduate and postgraduate experience is in the fields of chemistry, pharmacology, and toxicology, Mr. Meneely started his career at the U.S. military’s chemical and biological